Walking for Health
- Walking reduces the risk of high blood pressures and cholesterol.
- It helps controlling diabetes diseases.
- Everybody can control their weight through regular walking.
- Bones become strong and balanced.
- Muscle strength and stamina will be enhanced.
- Excessive fat of the body will be decreased.
- It helps improving vitamin D levels.
- It contributes reducing you depression, better sleep, and more.
Walking daily for 30 minutes
In order to prepare the joints and muscles for the improved level of motion required, slight stretching is very essential prior to start walking. To warm up the muscles before stretching, take an easy five minute walk. Consult with a healthcare practitioner the proper way of doing stretches, and be confirmed to include the neck, arms, hips, upper and lower leg muscles (including the hamstring muscles in the back of the thigh), and ankles.
Routine wise walking
- Walk sharply. But, as a common rule, you should maintain enough breath in order to be able to carry on a conversation.
- Begin with a 5 minute walk and continue walking for at least 30 minutes (roughly 2 miles) at least 3 to 4 times a week.
- During walking, you should maintain good form in order to get maximum aerobic (requiring air) benefit with each step and help protect the back and avoid injury. Following elements of form should be followed:
- Head and shoulders:Head should remain up and centered between the shoulders focusing eyes straight forward horizontally. Shoulders should be relaxed but straight - avoid lounging forward.
- Front muscles: For supporting the chest of the body and the backbone, the front muscles should use effectively. In order to do this,you should slightly keep the stomach pulled and stand fully straight.During walking,tilting forward should be avoided.
- Hips: Begin forward motion with the hips. Each step should feel natural - not too long or too short. Don't try to take too long of step.
- Arms and hands: Fixing elbows at a 90 degree angle, your arms need to stay close to the body. During walking, your arms should keep in motion, swinging front to back in pace with the step of the opposite leg. You should keep your hands relaxed, lightly cupped with the palms inside and thumbs on top. Tightening the hands or making tight bunch should be avoided.
- Feet: Land slightly on the heel and mid foot with every step, progressing smoothly to push off with the toes. Carefully, use the balls of the feet and toes to push forward with each step.
Using Correct Walking Shoes
Correct walking shoes are very crucial for excellent balance during exercise walking.Because, pain or injury can be created due to use poorly fitted walking shoes. Technical running shoe store can provide a shoe that fits based on the individual's specific bio mechanics.
Purchasing Walking Shoes
- Firmness - A stable and confident feel throughout range of motion are the basic requirements of shoes.
- Elasticity - Shoes should provide smooth motion in order to get a good degree of give at the base of the toes.
- Comfort - Walking shoes should contain shape and padding adapted closely to the feet, providing a warm fit at the heel and mid foot having sufficient room in the forefoot.
- Weight - Walking shoes should be light weight and breathable.