If a product having reduced packaging in comparison to other similar products requiring less shipping room and can reduce carbon emissions during transport to market is also considered green.
- Promote good indoor air quality through reduced emissions of volatile organic compounds.
- Durable with little maintenance requirements.
- Incorporate recycled content (post-consumer and/or post-industrial).
- Recovered from existing or smashed buildings for reuse.
- Manufactured from natural and/or renewable resources.
- Require little energy to produce and transport materials.
- No CFCs, HCFCs or other ozone depleting substances in the product.
- No highly toxic compounds in the product as well as in the production process.
- Gained from local resources and manufacturers.
- "Sustainable Harvesting" practice exists in wood or bio-based products.
- Easily reusable.
- Readily recyclable in a closed-loop recycling system.